Sunday, October 14, 2012

FOUND: Concord Grapes

I was so excited when I found some Concord grapes at the grocery store yesterday. I've been looking for them for a month! They are only in season for a month or two in the fall. They're so sweet.
 I've selected all the fabrics for the baby quilt I'm making. I noticed how much I like some of the fabrics, especially the top middle, and top right. The patterns are so fun and fresh.
 Here's the knitting I've been working on. I've made some progress. I'm eager to finish and block it to see if it will lay flat when it's dry. If so, I'm going to start on blocks for a big blanket!
I've been reading Bleak House by Charles Dickens. It's an interesting read so far. It's 800+ pages so not quite an 'in-one-sitting' kind of book but I've been making my way through it. Hard to keep some of the secondary characters apart at first, there are so many of them. It's a strange book in some ways, because there are two narrators. There are some characters that appear and reappear, which seems to foreshadow their role at later parts in the book. The way Dickens writes them in (like the surgeon that just left for India)  works for a book because he can have the narrator casually mention something three scenes later about the first scene, but I wonder how it would be handled in a movie (you can't film the entire dinner party but just not show one end of the table, then 30 minutes later in the movie, have the character do a flashback and look to that end of the table and show that guy sitting there, that would be a little strange, right?). It looks like there's a 420 minute BBC movie version. Now that's what I'm talking about. Like the six-hour Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth. Nothing like throwing on something like that when you're settling in for a long day of sewing.