Friday, March 14, 2014

Brought To You By The Letter E, 9"x9", acrylic painting. Art Idea Brainstorm exercise

I've been thinking a lot about white space lately and wanting to use it more in my art. I do tend to cover up a lot of the page, if not all, with color and marks. But I can see how white space is visually pleasing.
I made this quick five-minute painting to get an idea out of my head onto paper. I used masking tape to mask off the letter E and the lines on the right for the black 'piano keys' or whatever they are. Initially I had the idea for a yellow letter E floating above a background of something. It turned into this. So thinking about the letter E, check out all these different words that could be used as inspiration for a piece of art - these are just off the top of my head:

Elephant
Exotic
Essential
Every
Each
Estimate
Envelope
Egg
Ebb
Eddy (like the eddies of ocean currents)
Egress (okay, now I'm really just pulling words out of nowhere - but seriously, wouldn't it be interesting to illustrate egress?)
Egregious
Erstwhile (Have I been watching British period dramas or what?)
Evening
Even
Eeek! (I'm thinking of a picture of a mouse inside it's little hideaway, tucked in bed with a piece of cheese)
Easter
Eleven
Echo
Elemental
Errand
Error
Ear
Egads!
Epiphany (that would be a fun one to illustrate)
Euphemism
Ewe (that makes me think of a song I heard as a child, goats eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy, but I thought the lyrics were 'Goes ee dotes and dose ee dotes and little lambsy divey')

Look how interesting just a short one letter brainstorm can be! You can come up with all kinds of words and images and ideas to use for art.

No comments:

Post a Comment