Saturday, April 30, 2016

Floral painting, photos and quilt progress


I've moved more pieces around on this baby quilt and I'm about ready to sew it together. I just noticed one of the pieces (lower right corner) that must have fallen off and been put back on rotated! Ha! This is for a baby that's due next week so I better get to finishing it!

This is a recent floral painting. I'm still working on it. It's interesting to observe all the layers that happen during the process. I love the colors. I need to do something with that yellow thing coming out of the vase - at this point it reminds me of a banana slug with a smiley face. I started this painting by throwing some color down then adding collage bits from previous Gelli print sessions - including the piece that's the large orange flower on the middle right side- if you look closely you can see the marks on the piece- that's from a Gelli print a few years ago. I like the texture and the 'delicateness' of it.

I'm always looking for tidbits of design inspiration for color schemes, architectural elements for my drawings and paintings, and interesting lines. Here are some photos from the last two months:


 I love those little cupolas that peek out above the rooftops.

Aren't the tiles on this stairwell fun? If I had a stairwell I would put some pretty tiles on the face of the steps.

 I loved this garden and the rock wall and the style of the building on the left.

Jacaranda trees dropping their flowers all over the street.

 Interesting street layout (and the reservoir is pretty) - reminds me of ideas for aerial view art quilts, like this one.
The Tijuana temple is gorgeous - inside and out. The grounds are so tranquil, clean and beautiful. If you're in the area, stop by and visit the grounds.


I thought this was a pretty garden and loved the old door and the juxtaposition of the brown stucco with the stone wall.



I saw this bike parked in front of the grocery store. I loved the contrast of the turquoise and the dark blue wall.