Sunday, January 15, 2017

Colorful mark-making: art journal play


I started this 30-day Art Marks 30 day challenge today from Rae Missigman. It's a chance to get some color on the page for a few minutes. Today I mostly used my favorite marks: circles and dots. I find myself repeatedly making these marks so I must be drawn to them. I also restricted myself to three colors: pink, blue and yellow. A bit of green resulted from the yellow and blue intersecting. I've realized I really don't like to have orange and green in the same painting. I don't like the way it looks... So I've made a conscious decision in recent art play to eliminate orange if I'm using green, and vice versa.


I used gouache, acrylic, pen, and Neocolor (I love the Neocolor II water soluble crayons). I'm using a ~6"x6" notebook from Muji - I thought it would be the perfect size for this challenge. Not too big, not too small.

This reminds me of my Catalog of Marks. I'll review that for upcoming mark-making with this 30-day challenge so I can expand beyond circles and dots...

3 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Leah!
    Thanks for sharing your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Leah, do you believe that I only view your comment about my Mom and her sushis today? It is true, she was very happy in that moment because New Year means so much . You know, she is my best model to take pictures!
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of lovely colour and art-making in your blog, and I love your enthusiasm. I found you over at Instagram.

    ReplyDelete